In This Episode
Sometimes you need to slow down to speed up. We know it’s counterintuitive. The answer isn’t always to push harder or get more information. Believe it or not, it’s often best to do nothing. To sleep on it. For a small business owner this is easier said than done. Especially if you’re one of those very driven individuals who has trouble taking it easy and slowing down.
During the show we shared several examples of clients who had better success after slowing down a bit. If you’re going through a lot of growth where you are doubling your business over a few months or few years, it can create a lot of stress on the business. Keep in mind that fast growth isn’t always sustainable. Systems and people can start to break down if you push too hard.
A couple of the points we touched on during the show include:
- It’s often a maturity thing, but don’t confuse age for maturity
- The “work” is never done so you need to prioritize
- Self awareness is key (things like your natural behavior style)
- Most things can wait 24 hours
So if you’re feeling a bit frustrated by how slowly other folks are going, this show’s for you!
People, Companies and Resources We Mentioned in the Show
- Extended DISC (https://www.extendeddisc.org)
- Days of Thunder (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_Thunder)
- Robert Duvall (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Duvall)
- Tom Cruise (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000129/)
- Stand by Me (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand_by_Me_(film))
- I Didn’t Sleep At All Last Night by The 5th Dimension (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(Last_Night)_I_Didn%27t_Get_to_Sleep_at_All)
- The Office (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Office_(American_TV_series))
- Bear Stearns (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Stearns)
Join Us Next Time
Join us next week when we will be joined by Peter Hans of Discover Map (https://discoverymap.com). Peter will share his story of the “6-year itch” that took him from international finance to owning a map business in Vermont!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download